Logo

Logo

Tuesday, April 1, 2014



Luke 9:57-62

"I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." (Luke 9:61)

The season of Lent is, among other things, a time to consider whether our faith in Jesus has any discernable impact on our lives and how we live them. Does the call of Jesus ever change, alter, or trump our plans and obligations? Or is our faith something that we try to squeeze into an over-scheduled life?

In his interactions with would-be followers, Jesus makes us just a little uncomfortable with his “let the dead bury their own dead” comment to the guy who simply wanted to tend to the matters of his father’s funeral before following Jesus. Why so harsh, Jesus? 

I suppose Jesus is making the claim that there will always be something calling for our immediate attention our resources, or our time. There will always be something that will seek to distract us from the life of discipleship. What are those things that distract you and turn your attention from a life of committed discipleship? Where is Jesus calling you to follow?

 Luke 9:57-62 NRSV
 57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
 58 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."
 59 To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
 60 But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
 61 Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
 62 Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment